Mobile World Congress 2012: Redefining mobile with Augmented Reality21 Feb 2012, Posted by Cases, Interactive Print, Museum & Event apps in
With just one week to go to the Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona we atTAB Worldmedia have already drawn up our schedules for Monday, planned a “secret” meeting on Tuesday and are still contemplating if we have time to add just a extra day on Wednesday.
Last year we were approached by GSMA, the company behind the Mobile World Congress, to participate in a creative pitch for the sponsor contract of the MWC 2012 augmented marketing campaign. The campaign theme “Redefining Mobile” immediately caught our attention and put our creative brains to work. The concept that we came up with was to inspire people about what redefining mobile, and especially mobile browsing, could have installed in near future.
We presented a strategic approach to use a mobile website that would launch two types of augmented browsing experiences. However… as we all know at this point augmented reality is not yet integrated in mobile browsers so we asked junaio to team up with us and use their advanced platform to jumpstart the augmented reality experiences from the mobile website, like you would use Flash for interacting with a rich media website.
1. For the first experience we created a multi interactive 360 degree world that allows you to stroll around and explore what the MWC 2012 conference by looking through your smartphone as if it was a virtual lens.
When you open the 360 browser you will find yourself at the entrence right outside the Mobile World Conference area. When looking around you can see the different pavilions and zones that you can attend. For example: App Planet, mPowered Brands, the exhibition area or the Conference hall. When entering the conference hall you will find the speakers on stage and we’ve used our Tweeps Around service to project live Twitter messages from all over the World that use the #MWC2012 and #MWC12 in their messages.
2. For the second experience we’ve collaborated with junaio and their fantastic team to create a fully animated and interactive augmented 3D model of the campaign visual. When visitors point the viewer of their junaio app at the print advertisement that was featured in TIME Magazine or at the conference brochure they will experience the 3D EYE come to life and they can navigate by clicking on the augmented buttons that will appear.
I’ve posted the demo video of the augmented print experience below so you can see it if you don’t have your phone and the print ad ready.
Exclusive Demo Video
Mobile World Congress 2011 was by all accounts a record-breaking year:
- Highest-ever total attendance: more than 60,000
- Largest-ever senior-level audience: more than 58%
- Highest-ever number of CEOs in attendance: more than 3,000
- Largest-ever number of exhibitors: 1,400
- Largest-ever number of press: 2,900+ press members representing 1,500 media outlets
- Largest-ever gathering of Mobile App Developers: more than 12,000